Introduction of the internship
On behalf of the Waste 2 Food (W2F) consortium WASTE is looking for (an) independent and proactive student(s) interested to work on developing innovative cradle to cradle business models in the field of sanitation, solid waste and agriculture in emerging economies (BoP).
About the W2F consortium
The Waste 2 Food consortium is a cross-sectoral partnership that consists of the following organisations: WASTE, Grontmij, Solidaridad, Soil & More International, Sustainable Agriculture Initiative and Unesco IHE. In the W2F concept one problem (soil degradation, insecurity of supply of phosphorus rock and high energy costs of producing N-fertilizer) will be the solution for another problem (poor sanitation and solid waste management) and vice versa. The W2F concept combines organic solid waste and human excreta streams as input for the production of alternative soil improvers / organic fertilizers (in combination with the safe removal of any harmful contaminants, pathogens, etc.). By developing a demand for agricultural input produced from local organic and human waste, a market pull will be created for organic and human waste as a result of which investments in solid waste and sanitation services will increase.
About the assignment: finalize model and mobilise financing
”We are looking for student that is developing a business case about the financial feasibility of different solutions in three potential markets. The outcome of this study will be presented towards potential financiers. The student is responsible for data collection among the various stakeholders, creating a model considering various scenarios and giving advice about suitable financial instruments.”Next to developing a business case, the student will be asked to give an advise on how to finance next steps (e.g. to give an analysis about what financial instruments would fit and why). Self-initiative and an entrepreneurial spirit are highly appreciated. The student will be given a high degree of freedom to build up his own network and develop a future career path within the W2F network.
Who are we looking for?
– MSc student
– A pro-active networker & strong communicator
– Strong in economics, finance, modelling (operations research)
– Affinity with sustainable development, circular economy, working in the international context of emerging markets / Developing Countries / Base of the Pyramid
– Independent worker, with strong process and project management skills.
– Fluent in English
– Strong with Excel
Timing and process
– Application deadline: 31 December 2013- If there is more than one suitable applicant, the consortium might decide to set-up a team of students working on the case. Applying as a team is also possible.
– The duration of the internship will be at least 6 months starting from January 2014 2014 to July 2014
– The location of the internship is at the office of WASTE in Gouda, but the student is expected also to visit other partners in the W2F consortium.
– Combination of the internship with a graduation or other university projects is possible.
– The student(s) is (are) able and willing to work full time.
– A small monthly stipend including compensation for costs related to the research can be discussed.